Saturday, January 20, 2007

La Mattinata

Mi sto qui dolente a cantar!
Metti tu anche la veste bianca,
E schiudi l'uscio al tuo cantor!

That's a line a from a popular Italian song called La Mattinata. It says "I stand here dying to sing! Put on your white dress and open you door to your minstrel!". The song is about this wooer crying up to his wooee. He compares her to the sun and asks her to throw open her door and greet him like the dawn.

Ah, that's amore, no? I really am a sucker for that kinda thing.

So I want to warn here anyone that I may fall in love with. I warn you that I'm going to do that to you at least once. I'm going to obnoxiously stand beneath your window and serenade you in classic Italian. I point out that my Italian is not exactly...shall we say... very Andrea Bocelli so it may not be pretty. Also some people may not even like Italian. I mean it's basically Spanish's free-spirited, living-with-parents-still, really slutty brother. It's, if you will, the alcoholic member of the Romance language family (I wouldn't call it the black sheep. That's Romanian. Romanian is the creepy, possibly pedophile uncle of the family, but I digress).

Anyway I intend on doing that because how could I pass up the chance to not do that? It's La Mattinata.

2 comments:

Erin said...

French is the snooty but impeccably dressed older sister who only eats cheese and wine and pretends not to be related to the rest of the family.


That's why it is my favorite.

Joy Morykon said...

Pero a mi me gusta el espaƱol mejor, sorry Erin..
Hola Jake! no me conoces todavia pero yo a ti te conosco. Erin siempre habla de ti! buen Blog.. te seguire leyendo.. un beso! Joy